HEADLINES:

Minister of interior visits Saladin's Albu Dor following massacre by ISIS

Eight killed on Friday
2021-03-13

707 View

+ -

SULAIMANI — Iraq’s Minister of Interior Othman al-Ghanimi led a delegation of security officials to Saladin governorate on Saturday (March 13) to investigate the massacre of eight people in the Albu Dor area by Islamic State (ISIS) militants the previous day.

Early on Friday, ISIS militants raided a house in Saladin’s Albu Dor area and killed six members of a family, a lawyer, and a member of the police, according to Ali al-Bayati, a member of the Iraqi High Commission for Human Rights.

Iraq’s Security Media Cell said on Saturday in a tweet that it had conducted an investigation of the incident and determined that the main perpetrator had been a resident of the village before being expelled for his activities with the militant group. Disguised as members of the security forces, he and several others committed the killings out of revenge.

ISIS also issued a message claiming responsibility.

Joint Operations Command Spokesperson Tahseen al-Khafaji said that al- Ghanimi’s made the visit to review the results of the investigation and coordinate the security response.

In a tweet, al-Bayati pointed out that militants were using the security vacuum between the Iraqi Security Forces and the Peshmerga in the disputed areas to launch attacks.

(NRT Digital Media)